IST-ID, Associação do Instituto Superior Técnico para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento, is a private not-for-profit institution, which primarily aims at carrying out Science and Technology activities, fostering knowledge transfer and promoting the involvement of national and foreign researchers, both at national and international levels, in RD&I projects in their areas of expertise.
IST-ID carries out RD&I activities in major areas which are associated with challenges with a strong impact on society. These are strongly interdisciplinary areas in nature crossing different fields of engineering, science and technology and architecture. The RD&I activities comprise not only fundamental aspects but also projects with a strong applied component.
Instituto Superior Técnico (IST) is one of the founding associates of IST-ID and, through partnership agreements, makes available the majority of facilities where IST-ID activities are carried out. IST is the largest and most reputed school of engineering, science and technology in Portugal. Since its creation in 1911, IST mission contributes to the development of society by providing top quality higher education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as developing Research, Development and Innovation activities providing top quality teaching inline with the highest international standards. Its mission is therefore expressed in the three main attributes of a modern university: to create knowledge, to transfer skilled professionals and transfer technology to society.
IST-ID is the host institution of the Research Units mentioned below in which professors and researchers of IST develop their research activities. In addition to its own research teams, hired directly by IST-ID as part of the research projects it manages, IST makes available to IST-ID a number of professors and researchers, under the Third-Party agreement between these two institutions, to pursuit the RD&I activities promoted by IST-ID.
IST RD&I Units hosted by IST-ID:
- Marine, Environment & Technology Center – MARETEC
- Center for Functional Analysis, Linear Structures and Applications – CEAFEL
- Centre for Mathematical Analysis, Geometry, and Dynamical Systems – CAMGSD
- Center for Nuclear Science and Technology – C2TN
- Centre for Marine Technology and Ocean Engineering – CENTEC
- Centre for Management Studies – CEG-IST
- Center for Innovation, Technology and Policy research – IN+
- Center of Physics and Engineering of Advanced Materials – CeFEMA
- Centre for Theoretical Particle Physics – CFTP
- Center for Computational and Stochastic Mathematics – CEMAT
- Center for Structural Chemistry – CQE
- Centre for Natural Resources and the Environment – CERENA
- Center for Astrophysics and Gravitation – CENTRA
- Center for Innovation in Territory, Urbanism, and Architecture – CiTUA
- Civil Engineering Research and Innovation for Sustainability– CEris
- Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences – IBB
- Institute of Plasmas and Nuclear Fusion – IPFN
- Institute for Systems and Robotics/IST – ISR/IST
- Interactive Technologies Institute – ITI